Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Loose Ends File: Beer

Time to begin tying up loos ends. In the first of the loose end series, I will cover the subject of beer. Now I do not drink a lot of beer, but I am picky about that which I do drink. And as it is part of the culinary fabric of a country I think a brief discussion of Danish beer culture was necessary.

Denmark has long been known as the land of Carlsberg beer. And if you like fairly light, mild tasting lagers, then you will enjoy Denmark's beer. And more than Carlsberg is available, as there is also Tuborg and Albani beer if you are into big brewery beer. And this is what they drink here, 95% of the time. They even have a beer spigot on the soda fountain in the zoo cafeteria. Adults drink the stuff like we drink soda. I do not know how they do it - beer at 9 am is a bit much.
beer

Fortunately for me, there is a growing small brewery culture here too. The largest contribution is actually not Danish, but belgian beer. Most stores, including the discount supermarkets have several types of Belgian beer. And this is a good thing, because Belgian beer is good. In addition beers from select countries around Europe are available. Some English beers (New Castle and Guiness), US beers (Sam Adams), and France's superb 1664 (brewed by Krononberg). Additionally, the local microbrews are quite good. Several on the Island of Fyn have won awards, and I have passed through the host towns on some of my bike rides. And that is just supermarket fare.

There are beer and wine stores around, that have an eve broader selection than the supermarket. A broad array of Danish, Belgian, and English beers are available. Some Maine beer even shows up (the Allagash craft beers - weighing in at $30 per bottle). With an eye toward beer exploration, I have tried many, and some of the favorites are shown in the photo album above.

So there verdict: The Danish beer scene has something for everyone. Supermarkets have an impressive variety, so it is easy to find. Unfrotunately, I would say the Danes take their beer drinking a little too far. My far from reality based Danish data source says that Danes drink more than any other culture in Europe. Really? More than Germany, Finland or Russia? Who knows, not me.

No comments: